Call-Out  for Panelists for MPMA's Conference
It  is time to think about your proposal
for  MPMA's 2016  Conference
Mountain-Plains  Museums Association

Join  us at MPMA's Annual Conference
in  Oklahoma City, OK:   October 23-27, 2016
Proposal  Deadline:  January 15, 2016

CALL-OUT  FOR PANELISTS
Can't  find panelists?
Request a CALL-OUT from MPMA.  We will send out  an eblast for those
proposals that need panelists.  The eblast will include  a brief description of
the session or workshop and the kind of panelists you  want.  Contact  us:
Wanna  join a panel? Check  out these requests for panelists  ...then
contact the submitter directly.

SESSIONS  THAT NEED PANELISTS
*Session  Title: Mutually Beneficial Collaborations between Museums and
Communities
organizations such as  libraries, art galleries, community centers, etc. can work
together to provide  unique and interesting experiences for residents and
expanded venues and program  opportunities for museums. The successful traveling
exhibition program developed  by the Space Science Institute's National
Center for Interactive Learning places  science activities in rural libraries
and other science museums have effective  state-wide and regional library
collaborations. The session's goal is to point  out how the museums' mission is
expanded and met by these connections, while  clearly benefiting the local
residents.

Looking  for other museums of all types that have successful outreach
programs that take  them out of their immediate communities into regional
locations, especially in  smaller and rural communities. Two or three additional
panelists can share their  institutions' experiences.

Contact:  Robert Mac West, [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])
Principal at Informal Learning  Experiences, Denver, CO
*Session  Title: Challenges of Concealed Weapons in Museums
concealed weapons as more  states adopt new laws on weapons. Numerous twitter and FB
postings attest to  this.  Some museums have posted "ban" icons on their
doors.  Others  have removed them or have never used them citing difficulty in
 enforcement.  Still others do not see this as an issue while some
constituents vow never to set foot in a museum that allows  weapons.

Looking  for folks whose museum is addressing this issue.  Are you
following the  law, ignoring it or is it not even an issue at all?

Contact: Monta Lee  Dakin, [log in to unmask]
*Session  Title: Building a Manual for Data Standards
standards manual  that serves dual purposes.  In this  manual, the fields
of our database are defined and rules are set for how data  should be entered
into the database.  The book doubles as a training tool for teaching new
staff, student  workers, interns, and volunteers how to use the database.  For
more  experienced staff, it gives a starting point from which to clean
data.  The manual brings together best  practices to create a useful resource
for a museum staff who works with a  diverse collection.  The goal behind
standardizing our data is to make information easier for the public to search
on  our website.
Looking  for Collections Managers, Registrars, Curators, Volunteer
Coordinators, and  Emerging Museum Professionals who have also worked on
standardizing data at  their institutions or are interested in beginning such a
project.  Those with projects in-progress are  welcome to participate.
Contact:  Theresa Ketterer [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
Assistant Registrar/Collections Manager at the Marianna Kistler
Beach Museum of Art, Manhattan, KS
*Session  Title: "Getting it all Together"
We've recently revamped our shared  network storage to make it easier to locate
files and retrieve information.  If we share information that we all  need,
we increase communication and save time-time we can use doing the rest of
our jobs! See how we did it, what worked, and what didn't work.  This is
intended to be a discussion about revamping shared network storage to increase
 efficiencies.
Looking  for more panelists who have gone through this process.
Contact:  Stephanie Teasley,  [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])
Registrar  at the  Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita, KS
FILLED*Session  Title: Collections Management Swap Meet
FILLED *Session  Title: Museums in the media: visibility vs collections
care

Submit  a proposal - Have something to share?
Proposals  are now being accepted for workshops, sessions and poster
sessions
PROPOSAL  DEADLINE:   January 15, 2016
Not  sure how to get started?
Check  our _website_ (http://www.mpma.net/accurrent.php)  for suggested
topics
_Go here_ (http://www.mpma.net/accurrent.php)  for the proposal form for
sessions,  workshops, poster sessions
Can't  find panelists?  Request  a CALL-OUT from MPMA.
We will send an eblast for those proposals that need panelists.  The
eblast will include a brief description of the session or workshop and the kind
of panelists you are looking for.  Want to be included? Contact us:

Bookmark  this date:   October 23-27, 2016
MPMA's  regional museum conference is a great place for anyone who works in
a museum of  any kind to get ideas on current practices for their programs
and buildings. It  is where they can mingle with peers, learn about the
latest techie stuff, get  the straight talk on current standards, and hear new
ways for reaching visitors  of all ages and abilities.

MPMA:  A Ten-State Museum Network
Colorado,  Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma,
South Dakota,  Texas and Wyoming

Mark  your calendar:  2016  MPMA Conference October 23 - October 27
Oklahoma City, OK

Mountain-Plains  Museums Association
7110  West David Drive
Littleton, Colorado 80128-5404