MUSE Publication: Call for Submissions 2016

Recognizing the need for reimagining and critically transforming museums
and our cultural work within their spaces, the Museum and Exhibition (MUSE)
Studies Publication (Title TBA) invites you to submit art, essays, creative
writing, interviews, poetry, love letters and any other creative form
analyzing, critiquing, and space making for new thinking about museums and
exhibitions.

Possible topics include:

   -

   Centering Justice in Museums

   -

   Radical Archives and Collections Practices
   -

   Queer of Color Critique and Exhibiting Performance
   -

   Trauma and Healing as Aims of Museums and Exhibitions
   -

   Labor and Cultural Institutions
   -

   Privatization and Public Museums
   -

   Museums, Real Estate, and Gentrifying Cities
   -

   Decolonizing Museums and Collections
   -

   Disability Studies and the Arts/Culture/Exhibitions
   -

   Insurgent Research as Visitor Studies

Produced and edited by University of Illinois at Chicago Museum and
Exhibition Studies graduate students and published by Chicago-based
StepSister Press, the MUSE Publication strives to create a space for
challenging, critiquing, and providing alternative modes of thinking and
production within and without museums.

http://artandarthistory.uic.edu/ma-muse

http://stepsisterpress.org/

Firsts and Beginnings are starts and pathways elsewhere, evidence of
divergences, and reminders that there are always other possibilities. This
is the first issue of the MUSE Publication, created by the first Museum and
Exhibition Studies program focused on social justice in Chicago, a city
with a rich history of organizing.

Responding to the urgencies of the moment and our desires to foster justice
through our work within and outside of museums, this publication invites
you to explore the theme of -- “Inaugurations” -- by telling us about your
firsts, endings as beginnings, resistances leading to sparks, and more:

   -

   The first time I realized...I felt uncomfortable in a museum
   -

   The first time...I was kicked out of a gallery
   -

   A first...date at an exhibition closing
   -

   My first...collection/exhibition/museum job/intern/volunteer opportunity
   -

   The last time I read a label... was the first time I tore it down…
   -

   Realizing my dragkingqueen dreams when I read about “disidentifications”
   -

   ...and other fruitful, founding, final, first experiences, and the
   possibilities they’ve incited

Submission Guidelines

Deadline: Monday, February 1, 2016 11:59pm (CT)

Submit here: https://musepublication.submittable.com/submit

You will need to create an account. The online system will guide you
through the steps to upload your submission.

With your submission please provide:

- Contact Information (Name, address, email)

- Biographical Statement of 50 - 75 words

- Writing: manuscripts of up to 2,500 words as doc, docx, or rtf files

- Visuals: high-resolution B/W - C images of original artwork as jpg, gif,
tiff, or png files

All submissions will be acknowledged by email. Inquiries are welcome;
please email Sarita Hernandez, Publication Coordinator, at
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>.

Join our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1682934955254525/

--
The task of teachers, those obscure soldiers of civilization, is to give to
the people the intellectual means to revolt. [Louise Michel / 1830-1905 /

UIC United Faculty Local 6456: uicunitedfaculty.org
UIC United Faculty on Facebook (Like us!): http://tinyurl.com/c26hyej
Twitter: @UICUF

This is an (almost) Calm Inbox: email is checked once (or so) in the AM and
once (or so) in the PM.