In fall semester 2015, the School of Informatics at Indiana University, Bloomington started a doctoral program in Virtual Heritage. We are now looking for summer internship opportunities for our graduate students in museum departments such as Conservation, Interpretation, and Exhibition Design. Ideally, such internships would run for four to eight weeks in summer 2016.

As background, we define Virtual Heritage as the study of how information technology can be applied in furtherance of the traditional goals of cultural heritage professionals: the discovery, recording, restoration, interpretation, and transmission of three-dimensional human creations from the small scale of a cylinder seal, vase, or statue to the large scale of a building, settlement, or cultural landscape. The purpose of our program is not simply to offer students practical training in the use of 3D tools (PhotoScan, AutoCad, 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, Sketchfab, etc.) but also to develop the student’s ability to conceptualize how these tools can be used to develop compelling new solutions to important problems faced by professionals in fields such as Conservation, Exhibition Design, Archaeology, and Architectural History.

Our students can help you digitize a collection of 3D objects such as statues, pottery, furniture, buildings, etc. They can help you to publish 3D models as interactive assets on your websites. And, of course, they are eager to learn from you the best practices in your field.

If you are interested in offering a summer internship to one or more of our students, please contact Prof. Bernard Frischer, Director, Program in Virtual Heritage, Indiana University. E-mail: [log in to unmask]; cell: (310) 266-0183.