Hello,

                If you’ve already decided what method you are using on the brass hopefully you’ve spoken with a conservator or your local/state/etc. museum organisation as polishing is typically destructive and repeated polishing can lead to issues especially if the fixture is plated or polishing materials buildup. I can see however why an automobile museum would be polishing items and many places do.

                For protecting the surrounding paint it’s hard to say without seeing the item you are polishing and the surrounding material but a sheet of Mylar, now Melinex I think, with a cutout of the attached base would work well. If there is a small space between the fitting and the paint you could take a few pieces of Mylar and slide them under somewhat like a camera shutter. It’s hard to say without seeing it but hopefully that helps.

William Shepherd

Collections Officer

Swift Current Museum

44 Robert Street West