From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Shepherd
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2015 3:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Collections Audit/Rebirth

*Apologies for cross posting.*

Hello,

                I’m recently started in a new position at a new institution managing their collection. My predecessor, while a very nice person, fell far behind on management of the collection. I’m seeing about seven years of buildup. Everything needs to be rehoused/needs proper storage, virtually every database record updated with correct locations and information, hundreds or thousands of records entered into the database that are typed out in a Word file but not entered into the database, paperwork and documentation located and updated, as well as rearranging objects in storage areas. The archives collection is in a bit better condition so this will only focus on the Museum’s mixed physical collection consisting of the usual human created items, natural history items, photographs, etc. My guess is there is somewhere between 12,000 and 20,000 collection items to be dealt with.

                As I’m making a plan to tackle this massive project I’d be very interested in hearing from anyone else that has gone through this or a similar process. I’m tossing around ideas as I sort through things and of course it all depends on available funds, but I’m thinking the only way to go is physically shelf by shelf, one by one, try to locate a database or Word record, update as necessary and rehouse as necessary, rearrange where possible then move on. This is obviously going to be a huge amount of work so hopefully I’ll come across some funding to get some recent grads but any success’ and pitfalls others care to share would be much appreciated. Thank you.

William Shepherd

Collections Officer

Swift Current Museum

44 Robert Street West