The usual pro’s and cons:

-        If you purchase, do you have the staff capacity to erect, take down, and store such a large tent? Depending on the material some tents must also be laid out to dry before storage if it has been rain soaked.

-        Compare the cost of purchase vs rental.  How many times would you have to use the tent to recoup your cost, versus the rental fee.  Of course, the basic costs won’t include staff time for putting up the tent and taking it down.

-        I don’t know if liability insurance figures into this or not, but you might consider if you are taking on an extra level of liability in having your staff (or volunteers) work at putting up such a large structure – or if there is any additional liability should the tent come down in a storm or what have you during an event.

We have a modest schedule of events at our historic site, but we always rent the tent. We have no appropriate storage – and if it is an outside party we simply wrap the cost into the event rental fee.

Cindy Boyer

Director of Public Programs

The Landmark Society of Western New York

133 S. Fitzhugh St.

Rochester NY  14608

(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

Fax:  (585) 546-4788