Hello Julie,

Is it possible for the board to remain in its current location?  Once it is removed there is the strong possibility that it will eventually be lost and once it is gone the information is lost as well.   If the board is kept in its original location an architectural historian would be able to tell whether or not the board is part of the barn’s original construction or a later addition.  Architectural pieces are similar to archaeological artifacts in that without the context the information becomes meaningless.

If she needs assistance with preserving the board in place she should call her local historic preservation office.  There is hopefully one for her county.  If not, she will have to contact the state historic preservation office.  They should be able to provide guidance.

And, if all else fails, document the board with photos and make sure the information is kept in a file associated with the property.

Jana Shafagoj

Director of Preservation & Education

Morven Park, Leesburg, Virginia

703-777-2414 ext. 6621