From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of topladave .
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 4:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Opening a Time Capsule

Elizabeth,

The documents may have become desiccated in the jars, so the paper may be very brittle and friable, so they should take great care in removing and handling them, and not immediately try to unfold them. They should be stored in acid-free archival folders and boxes, and if they are brittle then a paper conservator should be contacted to see if they can be humidified and carefully unfolded and stabilized.

I am an objects conservator, a paper conservator can tell you much more.

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant