Hi Mary Anne:

Actually, no;  you are the first person to respond.

The Brazilian customs are indeed on strike as I have been notified by one of our agents who conduct work in Brazil.

You do realize that most artwork coming out of Brazil needs to have clearance by IPHAN which is a government agency and the equivalent of the Ministry of Culture. The whole process can take up to (20) days. Once IPHAN has provided their approval, the shipment would need to be cleared by customs which is on strike. Shipments are getting out of the country, it just seems to be a lengthy process. I was notified that it is also helpful to write a letter to the Brazilian customs which includes a narrative about the project or exhibition and describes the urgency for them to allow temporarily export.

We have a show opening in about two weeks and I have five temporary loans stuck in Rio. Though our brokers we have done all the above; however, I am still waiting at this point.

Not sure if this information helps or not.

All best,

Kim

Kimberly J. Bergen
Senior Registrar