Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:57:03 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] use of paper labels for marking artifacts
To: [log in to unmask]

Morning All,

I am the head of collections at a major archaeological repository in Texas and have been approached about using small paper tags embedded in B-72 to label artifacts instead of the old style writing on the artifact.  I have spoken with people who swear by the new system, but as an “old” archaeologist, new methods scare me. Some of the fear comes from seen too many artifact that were adhered to boards with some type of adhesive that doesn’t come off now.  I also see that the old style labeling can be very messy, but fear that the gluing of labels to the artifacts could get very bad as well.  I don’t see an advantage since there would be a learning curve either way.   So what has been your experience with labeling items this way?

Thanks in advance,

Marybeth

Marybeth S. F. Tomka, M.A., PS Cert CM
Head of Collections