Hi Marybeth,

I'd like to read a technical paper with the details about this, the
materials and methods they are using.

I think there could be issues with paper labels applied directly on
artifacts, the primary one being the deterioration of the paper, especially
if the paper is not acid-free. Acryloid B-72 is permeable to the
atmosphere. A conservation science study on using it as a coating on silver
showed that it had poor performance because the gaseous sulphides in the
air were able to get through the B-72 coating and tarnish the silver
underneath. So an organic material like paper would slowly deteriorate with
oxygen, moisture, and other gaseous pollutants in air able to reach it. So
I think that if you are applying numbers directly on the artifacts that
using the B-72 system with inert acid-free inks or paints is certainly
preferable.

I also think it is best practice to include a paper or mylar tag with the
number tied to the artifact or in it's box or tray. Many years ago I saw
some of the most important historical archaeological iron artifacts in the
USA had lost their numbers because the iron had corroded, delaminated, and
the surface with the numbers had spalled off into rusty dust. So It's a
good idea to make sure that essential and unique number associated with the
artifact remains with the artifact in a long term way.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant