Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium, read weekly since 1998 by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   " I love Global Museum! I pull stories for my weekly email to our docents and they enjoy them too. My colleagues even asked to know where I found them because the stories are so interesting. " - User Feedback   ***

**  Russian museums urged to learn ‘self-defence’ after fundamentalist attacks

The general director of St Petersburg’s State Hermitage Museum has warned “our society is sick” and cultural institutions cannot rely on police protection

**  House of memories: an app and the material culture of money

We were asked to suggest objects from the Coins and Medals collection at the British Museum which could be used in an app, as part of the House of Memories project which aims to support the carers of people living with dementia

**  New permanent galleries at National Museum of Singapore to offer a new experience

After a hiatus of almost a year, the revamped galleries will not only present Singapore’s history in more immersive and innovative ways, but also showcase artefacts that have never been displayed before

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 3,575?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.

Become one of our first 4,000 members.  Join Today at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  China fashion exhibition at the Met museum is New York smash hit

A New York exhibition exploring Chinese influence on Western fashion has become a summer smash-hit, attracting a record 670,000 visitors in a sign of China's growing clout in America

**  Scientists prepare to test "gruesome" Great Plague bodies

The skeletons of 30 plague victims, their thin wooden coffins collapsed and rotted, have been found during a dig at the 17th century Bedlam burial ground, discovered near a headstone marked ‘1665’

**  Ugliest wax museum in China?

The Huaying Mountain Chinese and Foreign Celebrity Wax Museum has displayed wax figures of celebrities such as Jackie Chan, Roger Federer, Gong Li and many others which do not remotely resemble them

**  Iconic Andy Warhol paintings 'disappear' after being loaned out by museum

As a police investigation gets under way, it was confirmed that the museum director has been suspended over the irregularities that allowed the paintings to be released

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

127K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,359 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  The Nonseum, Austria's museum dedicated to wacky creations

From keyhole-shaped glasses for voyeurs to summer sleds - Austria's museum of nonsense and its vast collection of silly yet brilliant inventions are proof that bad ideas, if carried out well, can turn into genius creations

**  Export bar placed on first eyewitness painting of Niagara Falls

Davies, a Royal Artillery officer, is remembered for the skilled topographical watercolours he made during four tours of duty in north America, from the assault on Louisburg in 1757 to a posting in Quebec in 1790, as well as covering the period of the seven years’ war and the war of independence

**  The heart-breaking history of British child migration

As many as 100,000 children, from poor or broken homes, were sent abroad in search of a “better life”, as part of misguided humanitarian schemes

**  Museum seeking to create memorial for beloved cat

A black cat that frequently set off alarms and slept on antique quilts at a Portsmouth museum has died

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 2,039 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Would You Pass This 1910 Museum Curator Test?

Can those modern-day museum moguls steer a canoe or handle a horse? After all, those skills were essential to museum curators of a century ago

**  New Vatican arts app highlights museum pieces, restoration

The Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums has released a smartphone app to help culture enthusiasts learn about the works owned by the Holy See — and as a novel way of encouraging art lovers to help fund restoration

**  British Museum may seek loan of the golden rhinoceros of Mapungubwe

Considered an equivalent of Tutankhamun’s mask or Staffordshire hoard, symbol of South Africa’s precolonial civilisation could leave country for first time

**  Italy slammed for 'faking' Roman ruin

An ambitious restoration of a 2000-year-old monument inside the Roman Forum has provoked furious debate among experts about whether Italy is taking the right steps to save its cultural treasures

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

1.4K Pins, 299 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

**  Artifacts from Crimean Museums Are Held Hostage by Politics

The collection was on display when Russia annexed the Crimean Peninsula, and now the antiquities and other artifacts are being held hostage by the complex political situation back home

**  Museums Need Tech Entrepreneurs

When it comes to digital, museums for too long have been caught between charges of gimmickry vs. their own existential need to appeal to a younger and more tech-savvy generation

**  Did the lost colonists of Roanoke move inland and 'go native'?

Queen Elizabeth I and explorer Sir Walter Raleigh had hoped the 1580s expedition would create a capital in the New World, but something went terribly wrong

**  The Tigon’s Return

A tigon, a cross between a tiger and lion, goes on display at the Manchester Museum; It is stuffed.

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles – 197,021 in Circles.   8,206 in Community so far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

**  Italy appoints foreign museum directors in historic shake-up

Major institutions including the Uffizi Gallery in Florence will be managed by foreigners for the first time in Italy's history

**  Shifting Terrain

Mapping a Transnational American Art History

**  Picturing China: Qing-Dynasty Photography and Fashion

2015 Fall Symposium

**  Historic Indian miniatures from New Delhi tell an epic tale

Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki

Why Don’t We Just Talk to Each Other?

Building Cross-Sector Connections to Make Muslim Heritage More Accessible

**  This Week's Horoscopes

Taurus - Our surveys polls show that 52 percent of the people in this sign are women, so expect big changes around your part of the zodiac as we work with top female astrologers to make things more gal-friendly in this part of the cosmos

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS, PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES, SOCIAL MEDIA, the GM LinkedIn Network, Museum Accredited Courses – New News & Opportunities Daily!  http://www.globalmuseum.org.