Dan,

I wish I had more time to find an actual article or case study for you but, at the very least, I do know of a KCRW radio show that featured BJ Nilsen, who recently created an LA soundscape piece at the yet-to-open Broad Museum as a preview show.  His piece was on one side of the large room and paired with a silent light installation on the other side of the room.  That would be a great sound-based piece of art to look into further.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/press-play-with-madeleine-brand/fifty-shades-of-film-geoengineering-our-climate-and-remembering-david-carr#seg-broad-museum-sneak-peek (interview titled Broad Museum Sneak Peek)

http://www.bjnilsen.com/

Emily Baker
Graduate Student, Museum Studies
Johns Hopkins University