Your description of rust-colored spots brings me to another question - do you have a fire suppression system in your ceiling? What kind is it? In my experience, dry pipe systems will sometimes drip bits of greasy brownish sludge at the joints. If the system is older than about five years, you might want to have someone with a borehole camera take a look at the condition of your pipes.

Good luck, whatever the cause of your woes.
Anne Lane
Collections Manager
Mountain Heritage Center
Western Carolina University