Charlene,

It all depends on what the "mixed-media" art is, on the building you are
in, and in the outdoor environmental conditions. Usually HVAC settings for
collections do not have to be in such a tight range unless you have very
sensitive materials like older photographic collections, parchment, ivory,
etc., especially if your collections in there are stable. Historic
Buildings especially are vulnerable to tight HVAC settings because the
historic materials will react and portions of the building may deteriorate.
And if you live in an area with humid hot summers and cold dry winters you
need a wider range in your HVAC seasonal ramping, at least 10%.

Now when moisture appears on a ceiling it speaks more to what is above the
room. Is there signs of old water leaks in the ceiling or are these
entirely new? Are there water pipes or drain pipes up there? A fire
suppression system? Or ducts (as Mark asked)? Is there no insulation in the
ceiling and a hot room above, where condensation may be forming on your
ceiling from the temperature difference? Get with your building engineer
and figure this out. It may just mean that insulation needs to go into the
ceiling. If you have leaking pipes you have a problem.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant