The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is seeking a Registrar to join our dedicated team. This is an exciting opportunity to play an integral part in the continued success of the Museum, with 450+ full-time and part-time employees and more than 1,800 volunteers. We are building on our already solid foundation with a strong vision and solid strategy to recreate and redefine how we engage our community that loves, understands, and protects our natural world.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is the Rocky Mountain region’s leading resource for informal science education. Located in the heart of Denver City Park, and neighbor to the Denver Zoo, the Museum offers a variety of exhibitions, programs, and activities help Museum visitors experience the natural wonders of Colorado, Earth, and the universe. More than 300,000 students and teachers are served by Museum each year. The Museum is currently moving its 1.5 million artifacts and specimens in its Archives and departments of Anthropology, Earth Sciences, and Zoology to the newly constructed state-of-the-art Avenir Collections Center.

The Registrar collaborates with Curators, Collections Managers, and the Museum’s legal counsel to ensure documented compliance with policy, procedures, ethics, laws, and regulations to ensure legal rights to collections. The Registrar serves as the collections management system application administrator and coordinates the publication of collections data online.

Essential functions include:

·         Monitor and implement best practices for registration.

·         Collaborate with Curators and Collections Managers to create, compile and maintain documentation for accessions, deaccessions, loans, and repository agreements.

·         Monitor the ethical, legal, and regulatory environment surrounding natural history and cultural collections and lead the revision of the Museum’s collection and ethics policies as appropriate.

·         Serve as the point of contact and coordinator for troubleshooting, problem solving, system upgrades, and development of new tools for the collections management system and online delivery of collection data.

·         Generate reports of collection activities to meet a variety of needs.

·         Provide registration services for temporary exhibits and permanent exhibit upgrades.

·         Make arrangements for and coordinate packing, shipping, insurance coverage, and import/export requirements for incoming and outgoing exhibit loans.

·         Maintain the DMNS General Facility Report and review those of borrowing institutions.

·         Develop and manage an annual budget.

Qualifications:

·         Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences or anthropology. Master’s degree in natural sciences or anthropology with museum concentration or experience preferred.

·         Museum registration experience required.

·         Working knowledge of the legal, regulatory, and ethical environment surrounding natural history and cultural collections.

·         Advanced experience with collections management systems. Experience with KE Emu, KE IMu, Crystal Reports, or Arctos preferred.

·         Ability to manage competing priorities and work effectively both independently and as part of a team.

Closing date is September 10, 2015. No phone calls please.

Applications may only be accepted electronically via the Museum’s website www.dmns.org.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is an equal opportunity employer. The Museum is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff committed to serving the needs of all our visitors and we encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds.