Jamie,

Your museum has a legal obligation under the ADA to provide effective communication of its programs through the provision of auxiliary aids and services. If your museum is run by a state or local government, it has an additional obligation to give "primary consideration" to the type of auxiliary aid or service requested by the visitors. In other words, if a visitor asks for a sign language interpreter, that's what the museum has to provide unless it has a defensible reason to not do so.

The ADA also requires that service providers, like interpreters, are qualified. There is an explanation in the law of what constitutes a qualified interpreter.

There are defenses -- e.g., if providing the aids and services is an undue administrative and financial burden or causes a fundamental alteration in the program -- but if one of those defenses is legitimate, then the museum needs to find another way to provide effective communication that doesn't trigger those defenses.

Interpreters do cost -- they usually work on hourly rates. There may be other ways to provide effective communication -- talk with your local advocacy organizations for people who are deaf and hard of hearing -- but most museums have found that for deaf people who sign, using interpreters is the best way.

If you want additional information or some resources on providing aids and services, feel free to  contact me offline.

Regards,
Jan

Sent from my iPhone