Do you have school groups coming to your museum? Where do they come from or how far out from your museum would you like them to come? That's probably a good indication of your "community". If you have minimal school use, what do locals consider the "geographic" community? This may be different than just your town or county, I once lived in a small town whose "geographic" community stretched over parts of two counties and included four towns.
Good luck!
Karen Barlow