Hillary,

I work with larger objects such as horse-drawn vehicles, and usually there is a way to get under them to place dollies.  Most likely, weight will not be an issue as even standard furniture dollies carry 750 pounds each, so 4 could support 3,000 pounds, and auto dollies may carry even more.  You can either lift it from the floor, even using something as simple as a large (six foot or longer) pry bar, incrementally lifting and shimming until there is adequate space for a dolly, or from overhead - I have used inexpensive engine hoists from the discount stores, but it depends upon height and weight.  Do you have photos and measurements?

Marc

From: Hillary Mannion
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 3:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] moving TB Hut/structure in gallery

Dear All,

The Pioneers Museum is updating our medical exhibit. When the exhibit was first installed, we had a Tuberculosis hut assembled in the gallery. We would now like to move the hut to another area in the gallery. I am  juggling ideas on how to do this. If we disassemble it, we risk damaging it. I  have been playing around with the thought of placing it on auto dollies to wheel the whole structure to the new location. . . but how to lift it?!

Any advice or anecdotes on moving structures would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Hillary

Hillary Mannion

Museum Registrar

Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum

215 S. Tejon Street | Colorado Springs, CO 80903

719.385.5654www.cspm.org

Ignite your curiosity.  Discover your story.

    Build a lasting connection to the Pikes Peak Region

       by preserving and sharing our cultural history.