From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Collections Research for Museums
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2015 2:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Showing movies for fundraisers

Hi all,

I had a question from one of our online courses Certificate students regarding showing a movie as part of a fundraising event.  Here is her question:

"We want to do a fundraiser and show a movie. We're launching a WWII exhibit and thought a war-time musical (Sinatra or Astaire) would be fun. Someone mentioned needing to have a license to show a movie?  I'm a complete novice when it comes to this.  Have you ever encountered anything similar or know of anyone in fundraising who has?"

What are the Copyright concerns for something like this and how does one go about getting permission to show such a film?  Have any of you done this?  I will forward your responses.

Thanks,

Peggy Schaller
Collections Research for Museums
4830 E Kansas Dr