I do not think it ethical or reasonable to ask staff to pay to be members
of the museum they work for. That is a hair's width away from "pay to play
(work)". Essentially it boils down to "you must have enough money to buy
this membership in order to work here" which is a whole world of wrong, and
in a profession that is grappling with issues of wage fairness and staff
diversity it is really unacceptable.

As to if there's any guidelines that specifically call it out...I can't
think of any that would say, ruin your chances of accreditation or
something. However, I think that it is simply the wrong thing to do, and it
will hurt morale and hurt future recruitment efforts.

I feel similarly about asking employees to donate to the institution they
work for- voluntary donations are great and many staff make them as part of
their annual charitable giving or estate planning-but solicited donations
and staff donation campaigns make me very uncomfortable in the same way
that asking staff to fork over for membership would.

Just my personal opinion,

Tracey

--
821 25th Street