For a minimalist approach, these stanchions are commonly found in art museums and are available in several heights and you can add accessories. Casewerks is a very easy firm to work with.
http://www.casewerks.com/products/gallery-fixtures/stanchions/
One advantage I've observed is that the thin elastic barrier seems to discourage visitors handling the rope, I think they feel they can't lean on it (which they can't).

"Museum Rails" might be a better option if you want something that is nicely finished but a bit more in-your-face. They can handle a lot of graphics, and are also nice folks to work with.
http://www.museumrails.com/index.html

If you want to have larger but transparent barriers you could use acrylic sheets. 1/4" thick at a minimum and thicker if spanning greater distances. We use the larger "Klem" fasteners for connecting the sheets together, lifting them off the floor and connecting to walls.
http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Master_Catalog_Vol_42/page/211/highlight/klem
However, acrylic will require a bit more cleaning because visitors will press against them.

One advantage to the larger clear screen is the addition of larger scene setting graphics using material such as "Photo Tex."
http://www.phototexgroup.com/

Contact me directly if you'd like to discuss your project.
Regards, Paul Stromdahl