From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of topladave .
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Wrapping a bronze

Joan,

As Marc said, it all depends on a risk assessment based on the scope of work for the construction. That includes security, fire, debris, dust, and water. The highest risk to museums and historic houses occurs during construction. So you should probably have a committee ranging from your security, building engineer, architect, project manager, and conservator or collections manager, to review everything. It is not only the risk to this one sculpture but to any other collections within the building.

For instance, if there is a shared HVAC system then fumes and dust and fumes from any chemicals or paints will be an issue, or if that HVAC will be turned off due to the construction. Will any work be done on the water system? Will work be done on the existing fire suppression system or a new installation where it has to be tested? Will significant debris be generated by tear down and how will it be handled and disposed of? By the way, I have seen these events following building construction: Abrasive dust and fibreglass insulation blow out of ducts for weeks because the contractor did not clean out the ducts. Rusty oily water leaking on collections from a dry-pipe fire suppression system when it pressure tested. Leaks from valves and water supply lines. Fumes from chemicals and paints used in construction. Security issues with contractors with access to the building wandering around and checking things out. No fire extinguishers in areas of construction where contractors are welding and soldering. Never assume that what

a contractor does is safe for you or the collection. They are focused on it to finish the job quickly and make money. You have to be vigilant in overseeing the safety of your collections because that is not on their radar or in their scope of work. Make sure to double-check and update your disaster respone plan.

The idea of building a protective frame around the sculpture is good, but I would not recommend using polyethylene plastic sheeting. That can create a microclimate where a significant temperature difference can happen (especially if sunshine from window or energy from lights fall on the sculpture. Significant differences between warm and cold air with something encased in plastic can create condensation - the last thing you want on a metal sculpture. You are far safer using Tyvek, which is a vapor barrier that allows air exchange but blocks moisture. If there is a water event both plastic and tyvek can hold water against objects if water finds it's way inside.

Also, how is the sculpture attached to it's base? Is it bolted where the bolts are easy to access? You should get that information and keep it on file in case the sculpture has to be moved, either now or sometime in the future. Any move should be well planned in advance and overseen by a conservator - collections manager.

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant