And to add to that, you should also consider the possible damage to your
landscaping.  My brother is an experienced metal detectorist, but his most
recent ventures in the yard of my 1890 historic home has left about 15 dead
patches in the grass.  Many municipalities outlaw metal detecting in public
parks for this very reason.

~Liz Thrond
Collections Assistant
Center for Western Studies