From: Sarah Baylinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 04/29/2015  1:23 AM  (GMT-05:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Deed of Gift for Deceased

Hello All,
I am working at a museum that is diligently trying to enter many of their older donations into PastPerfect. In doing this we have run into a few issues but one that is recurring has to do with legal ownership. We have many deed of gifts with a donor name sited and also the name of the person that owned the estate. These two people are not related at all, and it is unclear how the donor obtained these items though we don't believe it was any sort of theft. We've had most these items for 30 years or better. My questions are, do we site the donor or the estate name and do we legally have rights to it or does it need to go through abandoned property law steps? Thank you in advance for any input you have to offer.
Best,
Sarah Baylinson
Collections Manager
Bowman Museum