Keeley,
The kind of case you get should depend on what you're putting in it.  Is it documents?  Large artifacts?  There are many cost-effective solutions for cases- ranging from free to a couple hundred dollars- that you should explore before spending a bundle on a custom or even a new off-the-shelf case.

As to labels, there are a lot of books out there, but the basics are:
Short and sweet- not too wordy
Readable- consider font, size, placement, and covering/lamination
No more than 30 degrees from eye level- if a person has to bend their head more than a 30 degree angle up or down, they likely won't read your label.
Durability costs more- there is nothing wrong with putting up a temporary label to make sure you get it right before spending big bucks on labels.

If you were my client, I would advise you to go the cheap route at first. You will likely want to change/upgrade everything in a year or so anyway, and cheap fixtures, cases, and labels will allow you a lot of flexibility in finding what will work for your organization.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

-Casandra Karl
Principal, Museum Solutions Consulting
www.museumsolutions.net

Sent from my iPhone