Hi Robin,

I totally agree with Anne about looking for the source of the problem, but I would take it even a step further back and make sure what you are dealing with is actually mold.  I would suggest a website https://alaskawhitestuffid.wordpress.com/ that we put together up here in Alaska to answer that oft asked question “What’s that white stuff?”  Most of the time people think it is mold but there are other things it could be.  It is very likely what you are dealing with is mold but you want to make sure and this website can help.

Once you have determined it is mold, then the first step is to remove it to someplace dry.  The mold will go dormant, shrink, turn black.  This won’t improve the situation much but it stop the process and  keep it from getting worse.  Then you need to consult a conservator about what to do next.  With such a complex object there really isn’t a home remedy, no matter what helpful hints you might find out there.

To find a conservator you can consult a local museum or in your case maybe the South Carolina State Museum.  I do field services for Alaska through the Alaska State Museum.  There is a similar position listed for the South Carolina museum so you might try contacting

Joann Zeise

Curator of History

South Carolina State Museum

301 Gervais St., Loading Zone D Columbia, SC 29201

803-898-4942

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.southcarolinastatemuseum.org

Or you can also use the American Institute for Conservation’s website to find a conservator in your area.

http://www.conservation-us.org/membership/find-a-conservator#.VQhiSo7F98E

Good luck

Scott

Scott Carrlee