I backup PastPerfect on a weekly basis, and generally keep only about 6 months worth of backup files around at any given point (with some exceptions).  I've never had a problem just going in and deleting the older zipped files.

From what I can tell, PastPerfect only lists the last 30 backups, even though the backup log information goes all the way back to the first backup the software performed.  In our case, the first backup was eons ago and I know those files weren't saved, so the fact that the files are gone doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

With that said, the disclaimers are that we're still operating on PastPerfect 4 and I'm neither affiliated with PastPerfect, nor a tech expert, so there might be a problem/future problem I'm not aware of.  For now, though, the process works.  Last year, we were able to use one of the backups to restore Pastperfect after the whole program and related data were deleted off the server accidentally.  I also feel have some reference points of previous work, if we ever need to go back for some reason, but the files aren't gobbling up tons of room on the server.

Good luck!
Maria VanVreede
Collections Manager, National Model Aviation Museum
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:24:33 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] PastPerfect Hard Drive Backups
To: [log in to unmask]

We are having a similar problem, and I would love to hear any responses to this. Our tech person has this on their perpetual to-deal with list.
- Sarah Sarah FrederickCollections ManagerEastside Heritage CenterP.O. Box 40535Bellevue, WA 98015Ph: (425) 450-1049Fax: (425) 450-1050www.eastsideheritagecenter.orgwww.BellevueStrawberryFestival.org

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM, Renee Pieschke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello all,

For those of you that backup PastPerfect daily, do you ever run out of space on your local hard drive? Is it safe to delete older backed up zip files or will it disrupt PastPerfect's registry? Let me know.
Renee Pieschke
Archivist