From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pickering, Bob
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 11:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] free admission

Dropping your admission fee does not automatically translate into higher attendance. It's about perceived value at least as much as cost. Before you drop the admissions fee, perhaps doing some community survey work to find out who uses your organization and why, might be a good idea. Once you drop the admissions fee, it is really hard to put a fee back in place.

Robert B. Pickering, PhD

Director of Curatorial Affairs & Public Programs, Gilcrease Museum;

Director, Museum Science and Management, University of Tulsa

1400 N. Gilcrease Museum Rd

Tulsa, OK  74127

(918) 596-2706 Office

(918) 596-2770 Fax