Mary, hi. We are a small historical society museum and have always offered free admission. What I think it allows is for people who are curious, or who have a few minutes to kill, to wander upstairs (from the library) and check us out. Then maybe they stay half an hour, or make a point to come back, because they didn't expect it to be so interesting. And sometimes their parents, or their kids, come looking for them, and then they get intrigued. If there was an admission fee, I don't think they would have taken the chance. Then again, sometimes people value things more that they have to pay for. I'd LIKE to get to the point where we could charge admission (small) for non-members. What is your admission fee schedule (if you're willing to say)? And would it accomplish the same goal to reduce it vs. remove it?

--Kathie

Kathie Gow

Curator, Hatfield Historical Museum     http://hatfieldhistory.weebly.com

Oral History Producer     http://www.wordspicturesstories.com