Jan,

Great information.  Thank you so much.  I particularly appreciate that you addressed my question from an ADA perspective.

Becca

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Jan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Becca,

If you are talking about label rails, here are a few suggestions from an accessibility for visitors with disabilities perspective.

From the Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible ExhibitionDesign. http://accessible.si.edu/pdf/Smithsonian%20Guidelines%20for%20accessible%20design.pdf

Mount label rails so that the top of the label is at approximately 1015 mm (40 in.) above the floor.

At this height the labels are low enough for those seated but not too low for people with low vision who are standing. Labels mounted lower, particularly in label wells at 305 mm (12 in.) or less above the floor, require that people who have low vision kneel to be close enough to the type.

Also ensure that the lower edge is either at 27" a.f.f., or that there are also horizontal supports to serve as cane-detectable barriers.

Keep in mind the natural line of sight when mounting labels.

Labels mounted at 45 degree angles to the front of a case or vitrine are more accessible to people who have low vision than those that are mounted flat on the floor of the case. Labels should also be as close to the front of the case as possible. Labels on the back wall of a case or behind a vitrine are impossible for many people to read

Jan Majewski

Advisor, Inclusive Culture and Development

Institute for Human Centered Design (IHCD)

Sent from my iPhone