Erika,

I am a strong advocate for having a conservator as part of a collections
committee for a museum or public arts organization. All too often art and
historic objects and documents come into a collection with no detailed
examination and discussion of long term conservation - preservation issues.
This can be very costly as often institutions get surprised when
conservation issues arise later on. It is especially important when art
works like sculptures are commissioned. Also, conservators have expertise
in the materials and methods used in art and historic works and as such can
be a very valuable voice bringing science to bear on issues of
authentication and attribution. Having found any number of fakes and
altered / heavily restored art and objects over my career in conservation I
think that kind of insight is very valuable before you accept a donation or
buy art or historic works for your collection.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant