Hi there,

At my last institution we used a lot of forms, male and female.  With men's clothing, what we found worked best was to get child size torso's on stands.  These were usually loaned to us from area merchants.  Since people were smaller back then it was a better fit to get the smaller form.  Contemporary sized mannequins or torso's are too big usually.  When doing full uniforms with pants we ran the stanchion down the leg and stuffed them with acid free wrapped batting.  Again, the sizes were too hard to nail and we didn't have the budget to procure bodies that would work only those uniforms.  Using forms on stands also allowed for us to alter the height and make the exhibit flow a little better.

Hope this helps,

Christian Kleinjans MPA

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:22:35 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Uniform Mannequins
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello all,

My museum is putting on an exhibit of uniforms worn by service members in our county. Most of our clothes exhibits in the past have been of dresses. Our past attempts at men's clothing have been had varying levels of success and stability. The pants are the main issue.

For those of you that make your mannequins in house, how have you displayed an entire men's wear outfit? We would appreciate any advice you can give.

We are also open to suggestions of affordable pre-made mannequins if we can't find a solution in house.

Thank you in advance,

Jessica Knight
Collections Assistant
Jim Gatchell Memorial Museum