Hello all,

Spring Hill Historic Home is currently looking to fill a few internships. We would like to have these filled as soon as possible to help us in our continued effort to conserve our collection and get our name out to the surrounding communities.

Please see the two postings below for more information.

Thank you,

Samantha Kay

--

Samantha Kay Smith

Director
Spring Hill Historic Home
1401 Spring Hill Lane NE
Massillon, Ohio 44646
330-833-6749

Photography Intern

Spring Hill Historic Home
Massillon, Ohio

What is Spring Hill?

Spring Hill is a 1820s historic home built by Quaker’s Thomas and Charity Rotch, who founded the village of Kendal. We are a very small non-profit run mostly by volunteers. Our goal is to continue to preserve the house, the outbuildings, and the history of the Rotch-Wales families. Spring Hill has witnessed approximately 150 years of Massillon history, making it a truly unique property with amazing stories to tell. Spring Hill was also a station on the Underground Railroad, helping many runaways move farther north.

We are currently searching for a photography intern to help us record our events and the happenings around the house. We hope to continue to make Spring Hill relevant in the city and provide a creative way for the community to relate to our history. Because of the small size of our non-profit, this internship will be unpaid. The internship has no end date, and will be discussed with possible candidates during interviews. There will be times that the intern will not be required to work because of lack of photography opportunities, and other times when the intern will have to be on the property quite often to record large events.

Responsibilities

·         Take photographs and recording happenings at Spring Hill

o   This includes photographs of staff, volunteers, and guests (with their permission)

o   Take photographs at the following times:

§  Public Events

§  Private Events

§  The Spring Collection and Artifacts

§  Volunteering Events

§  The House and Grounds in Different Seasons

·         Edit photographs taken

·         Take photographs for marketing material

·         Provide photograph ready for marketing material and to be placed on Spring Hill websites and social media accounts

Qualifications

·         Experience in photography

·         Ability to work with others, including many volunteers, other interns, and the director

·         Experience and access to photography editing software

·         Access to your own professional camera

·         Goals to pursue photography, graphic design, art, or a related field is desired

Application Process

Please send a resume, cover letter and three references, along with examples of your work (either print or digital) to Spring Hill.

Samantha Kay Smith

1404 Spring Hill Lane NE
Massillon, Ohio 44646

330-833-6749

------

History Research Intern

Spring Hill Historic Home
Massillon, Ohio

What is Spring Hill?

Spring Hill is a 1820s historic home built by Quaker’s Thomas and Charity Rotch, who founded the village of Kendal. We are a very small non-profit run mostly by volunteers. Our goal is to continue to preserve the house, the outbuildings, and the history of the Rotch-Wales families. Spring Hill has witnessed approximately 150 years of Massillon history, making it a truly unique property with amazing stories to tell. Spring Hill was also a station on the Underground Railroad, helping many runaways move farther north.

We are currently searching for an intern to help us research the history of the house. We are currently finishing the last stages of a house-wide inventory of artifacts and will hopefully also be moving to doing the same for the outbuildings on our property. Research is required on some of the artifacts in the house and on the property in general. We hope to continue to make Spring Hill relevant in the city and provide a creative way for the community to relate to our history. Because of the small size of our non-profit, this internship will be unpaid. The internship has no end date, and will be discussed with possible candidates during interviews. This will be a part-time internship, with hours flexible during both the school year and summer.

Responsibilities

·         Assist director and collection volunteers in identifying artifacts in Spring Hill’s collection

·         Research artifacts found in the collection to help us date and provide information on the use of certain objects

·         Transcribe archives of the house and identify other names outside of the Rotch-Wales families

·         Speak with past and current volunteers and family to record oral histories of Spring Hill

·         Ability to write lengthy and short reports on information discovered through research

Qualifications

·         Desire to research both at Spring Hill, the Massillon Public Library, and college libraries for the most up-to-date information

·         Ability to work with others, including staff, other interns, and volunteers

·         Interest in preserving and sharing the history of Spring Hill

·         Personal mode of transportation will be useful, as some days there may be off site work

·         Strong interest in history a must; a history major or minor is not required but will be preferable

Application Process

Please send a resume and cover letter (either print or digital) to Spring Hill.

Samantha Kay Smith

1404 Spring Hill Lane NE
Massillon, Ohio 44646

330-833-6749