Hi Susan,

I first became acquainted with it in grad school for nonprofit marketing, but adapted it for museum programming and it's been working really well as a foundation for creating a larger interpretive plan.

You can buy the book "The Business Model Canvas" by Alex  or read the essential features for free on line.  The book is really good and the fullest description of how to get the most out of it, but you can use the links below for making it work well for program design.

It's basically a chart that you fill out to organize and investigate different pieces of programming/marketing, but reading the material that goes with it is really useful to being able to use the tool fully. An online explanation of how to use it is included in this preview of another book (the Canvas is spelled out as the whole preview) here, starting on page 12:
http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/downloads/businessmodelgeneration_preview.pdf

You can download the chart here:
http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/downloads/business_model_canvas_poster.pdf

Or, you can fill it out online here:
https://bmfiddle.com/f/#/

I also found this adaptation of the Canvas to help visualize ways to vary the chart:
http://practicetrumpstheory.com/why-lean-canvas/

I even used it to write a lobbying program for a state museum, but mostly for adult and children's museum programs.  Let me know what you think or if you have any questions about how I use it.

Lissa Kramer