Nancy:

Interesting idea. We considered this a pilot program through last year but it seemed to work okay so it might be time to consider expanding it.  Our calendar for this year (2015) is pretty full but we can certainly build towards a 2016 offering.  I want to get feed back from my programs person and see what he thinks.  He already offers a monthly Toddler Time for 4-5 year olds and we have a very active high school youth volunteer program.  But we are always looking for ways to engage those hard to reach school kids . . . .

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nancy R
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 12:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Adult Programs

What a great idea. Have you thought of offering these programs to homeschoolers, or including them in the current program? They are often available for middle-of-the day programs. If you state a minimum age appropriate for the artifacts being handled I’m sure you will find most homeschoolers to be quite responsible handling the items. Of course, some of your daytime participants may not want to be mixed in with children. However, I do feel that getting our youth excited about history is critical to keeping our museums operating.

I’d be happy to put you in touch with homeschool groups in northern Virginia or post a message for you.

Nancy