Dear Austin:      12/1/2014

Thank you very much for launching this campaign and for giving me a
concrete way to respond to the troubling reports on Herbaria and NhColl
about the drastic loss of support for natural history collections and their
staffs. This seems an imaginative way to start demonstrating the value of
the collections to a much wider audience.

Those collections have been invaluable to me as a historian of science and
medicine and as an exhibition curator. Over and over, I've seen how
exhibition visitors respond to seeing and learning from real specimens. As
a kid, I was lucky enough to take art classes at the University of
Michigan's natural history museum. Now, when I mentor inner-city teens in
Trenton on science projects, my first move is to take them, with their
little sisters and brothers, to the New Jersey State Museum -- they always
see something in those collections that sparks questions they (and I) would
never thought to ask otherwise.

Again, thanks! Just don't stop at 100+ people, please.

Karen
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS   [log in to unmask]
Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:
http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/
Mentor with ScienceMentors 1:1 http://www.sciencementors.org/
Guest curator, "Come into a New World: Linnaeus & America"
American Swedish Historical Museum, Philadelphia, 2007
New Jersey State Museum, Trenton NJ, 2008
Catalogue available from Diana Publications
http://www.dianepublishing.net/Come_Into_a_New_World_p/1422363678.htm  ISBN
1-4223-6367-8