Setting aside all the other* very good* reasons included in other reply's;
you can't do it because it will most likely violate fire codes and you
can't practically treat the tree to be fire resistant. A museum is
typically categorized as an assembly space where such decoration isn't
allowed even with sprinklers. See;
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Research/Fact%20sheets/xmastreechart.pdf

Paul Stromdahl
Director of Exhibitions
Illinois State Museum
And  person about to put up artificial trees.

--
Norman *Paul* Stromdahl

217 558 3845 (W)
206 251 6354 (M)

http://www.linkedin.com/in/npscreates

Be paperwise and print only if necessary:)
This email may contain confidential information that is legally privileged.
It may contain information and as correspondence be governed by the laws of
the State of Illinois. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
message, you may not distribute, copy or otherwise use the information
herein. If you have received this email in error, kindly notify the sender
by reply email and destroy it.
Thank you