Sorry we don't have anything to offer except this reminder that you are not alone

Board of Trustees

T.H. Gray, Director-Curator
American Hysterical Society

From: David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:28 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] The plaqued museum -- dedication plaques

A quick rant, and then a follow-up question.

We have a board member who seems to be wanting to thunk a dedication plaque on anything and everything that doesn’t move.  This board member is a wood-worker, and decided to make a new exhibit case (without talking to us, or asking if we wanted or needed a case) using materials that the museum purchased. He then puts a large brass plaque on this custom made case with the words "Built by (his name) and dedicated to (his father)" . . . . and the kicker -- this board member then submits the invoice to be reimbursed for the cost of the plaque?!

*head thunk!*

The same well-intentioned fellow stuck (he’s using double-sticky-foam tape) a brass dedication plaque —- this time dedicated to all who used to work in the building —- directly ON the original door to the museum’s historic building.  This door had been removed/replaced and is considered an artifact in our collection that he was asked to mount on a free-standing frame for an exhibit.

*deep-sigh!*

So, we’ll certainly have a “conversation” with him about not mounting a plaque directly ON an artifact, but does anyone have any suggestions, guidelines, that I can share. If this isn’t nipped in the bud I’m envisioning a museum that has little brass dedication plaques on everything, making it look like Minnie Pearl’s hat at a tag-sale!

What I am really looking for is some photos per perhaps a cartoon of what NOT to do. Anyone have anything to offer?   Anyone want a hard-working, self-motivated board member?   I’ve one to donate to you -- and I won’t even ask that you put a dedication plaque on him crediting me! (he'll probably put the plaque on himself!)

  - David -
Curator, at some plaqued museum