You could always investigate RFID from Backstage Library Works. I know many libraries use the tech for check out.

Bree

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 14, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Sarah Burroughs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Not where I work now, but another place I was at had an old fashioned card catalog and a binder in the library people were expected to use to fill out their name, date, etc. the books had library cards in them as well, which went in a box next to the binder as books were taken out. There was a drop-off bin next to the library door for people to return the books to and staff rotated to check the binders and return books every couple of weeks, though many people just put them back themselves right away.

This of course only works if your staff and volunteers are good at using sign in/out sheets and are old enough to be familiar with card catalogs, it seems that fewer students know the DDS.

--

Sarah Burroughs
Education and Curatorial Coordinator

www.911families.org :: www.tributewtc.org