From: Marissa Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [Possible Spam: 13%] Re: [MUSEUM-L] Displaying Historic Hats

Hi Sammy,

I would suggest using the material Fosshape to create a mount.  Its an inert fabric that under heat/steam will conform to an underlining substrate.  We used it here at the TMA for a different purpose (http://www.conservation-us.org/docs/default-source/annualmeeting/2014am_poster39_the_humming_birds.pdf?sfvrsn=2) but the link has information about how to construct the mount.  The material is fairly cost effective and can be used in invisible costume mounting as well.  As for display, I would definitely try to keep the hats under a vitrine to keep the dirt/dust from settling on the hats.  Also, try to keep the hat from direct sunlight.  Typically textiles are rotated from view after 3-6 months because of light exposure, but I know that can be difficult with smaller institutions.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me at the email listed below if you have any other questions and I'll try to help! Good luck!

Marissa Stevenson

Conservation Intern
Toledo Museum of Art
2445 Monroe St.
Toledo, OH  43620

>>> Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]> 10/29/2014 10:39 AM >>>
Hello,

I'm looking to see if anyone has information on ways to display historic hats. I am the director of a small 1820-1970s home and we are trying to open up a sewing room for next spring. We have numerous gorgeous hats from the women who lived in the house (I would say dating from the early 1900s, but we are still dating them), which we would like to display in the sewing room. The room is very small and has a slanted ceiling, which makes displaying things difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might work best for displaying these hats? For looks, I would love to be able to have a hat stand, but a normal one would end up harming some of the hats.

As I said, the room is small. We already have two Singer sewing machines, and a small drawer set with a mirror, which it would be possible to display some on that. However, there is not room to put a display case or anything else in there.

Thanks for your input!

Sammy Kay

--

Samantha Kay Smith