Samantha,
What about attaching your mounts to the slanted ceiling or highest point of
the ceiling and then mounting a mirror above the hat? This would place them
out of the way of visitors but still allow details to be seen. If you can,
mount them in plexi cases to protect from dust. By allowing visitors to see
the underside of the hats, you could expand the exhibit into hat
construction, sewing techniques, museum techniques of exhibit design, or a
number of other avenues as well. If you do use mirrors, you could put your
labels directly on them with vinyls or other adhesive lettering.

Danielle Trynoski
Seeking opportunities in museums & heritage management in the Inland Empire
and LA Metro areas