Hello, my name is Christina Manzo and I work with the Crowdsourcing Consortium for Libraries and Archives. As part of our outreach, we will be hosting our inaugural webinar on October 29th at 12pm EDT. I would love it if your listserv would consider posting the following press release to boost awareness for the event, titled 'Crowdsourcing 101: Fundamentals and Case Studies'! This would be a great opportunity for someone looking to get involved in crowdsourcing, but is unsure about how to make the first step, or for someone curious about current crowdsourcing projects from around the world!

Thank you!

Christina Manzo
Research Fellow, CCLA

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Institute of Museum and Library Services-Funded
Crowdsourcing Consortium for Libraries and Archives
to Host Inaugural 2014 Open Webinar

Crowdsourcing 101: Fundamentals and Case Studies” Webinar
on October 29, 12pm EDT.

HANOVER, N.H. – October 20, 2014 –The Crowdsourcing Consortium for Libraries and Archives (CCLA) announced the first in a series of international webinars, titled ‘Crowdsourcing 101: Fundamentals and Case Studies,’scheduled for October 29 at 12 pm EDT. Crowdsourcing in the humanities is an emerging new area for museums, libraries, and archives. The CCLA was formed earlier this year with an Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) award, with the goal to unite leading-edge technology groups in libraries and archives as well as humanities scholars and scholars from the sciences in a conversation about best practices, shared toolsets, and strategies for using crowdsourcing.

The CCLA project was initiated by Mary Flanagan, Sherman Fairchild Distinguished Professor in Digital Humanities at Dartmouth, who as founding director of Tiltfactor, has extensive experience with crowdsourcing and developing engaging games for prosocial causes. “The idea for the CCLA is to help our community share knowledge and tools across the disciplines,” says Flanagan. “There is a great deal of interest among humanities institutions to learn from science initiatives as well as those new project emerging from traditional humanities areas.”

The CCLA is engaging top experts in the field through a series of regional U.S. meetings, the most recent of which occurred in Boston last month. A culminating national meeting will be held in Washington, DC, in May 2015.

The two planned webinars are part of the first year of the CCLA initiative and will feature internationally recognized experts in crowdsourcing. The webinars will be open and accessible to anyone using crowdsourcing currently, as well as to those who may be  curious about using this technology in libraries and archives in the future. “The webinars will help boost the crowdsourcing conversation to a national and international level,” said Sukdith Punjasthitkul, a project manager at Tiltfactor, who is coordinating the CCLA project.

The October 2014 webinar, moderated and hosted by OCLC, will include the presentations “Crowdsourcing 101” with Open University’s Mia Ridge, and exemplar case studies from NYPLab’s Ben Vershbow and Zooniverse’s Victoria Van Hyning. Participants around the globe will have the opportunity to ask presenters questions at the end of the webinar.

‘Crowdsourcing 101: Fundamentals and Case Studies’ is free and open to the public. For more information about participating in the webinar and to RSVP, visit:  http://bit.ly/1sNUilU. Institutions interested in joining the Crowdsourcing Consortium for Libraries and Archives should email:[log in to unmask]

Follow the Crowd Consortium on Twitter: @crowdconsortium.

Media contacts:

Dartmouth College
Amy D. Olson