From: Astrid Drew <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:56 AM
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Assessing the Value of STEM in non-science based museums

Hello Keni,

I feel Ms. Mach's response is very close to how I feel too, though not from a visitor's perspective.  As a historical society whose membership demographic is older, we're constantly looking for ways to connect with younger audiences.  Our education program, still in development, is built for STEAM (pun actually is intended), and incorporates the numerous paintings and artwork in our collections.  We feel it'll do well to attract a wider audience, as well as students, and enable them to see those items in a different way.  So an old White Star Line advertisement poster, for instance, can be analyzed for its artistic merits, but also build discussion about economics, business, and marketing practices of the time.

Seeing artistic items in multifaceted ways can open up opportunities to create new programs or exhibitions that can educate people on how the arts are tied into science and even enhance it.  For those who are already engaged with the arts or are artists themselves, they can learn of new avenues to apply their skills---as well as vice versa, as Ms. Mach noted.  Also, incorporating sciences into art exhibits can help with fundraising and grant applications, given the emphasis of STEM field training nowadays.

Astrid M. Drew
Research & Media Coordinator

Steamship Historical Society
2500 Post Road