Hadn’t thought of that, good suggestion Dave – thanks!

-Regan

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of topladave .
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Help with identification please

Regan,

Try photographing it with raking light (a single light source from the side set at a low angle across the object. This brings out the surface topography, much in the same way that a sunset pops out features in the landscape. You can do this with a flashlight, just keep the light level lower, don't blast light on a shiny reflective surface. Also you may want to wet the surface to saturate it so that will help the camera to pick up the details. Seeing the maker's mark can be helpful. Also, it may not be American made, many knives and cleavers were also imported from England from manufacturers in Sheffield, for example.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant

Los Angeles CA  USA

www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com