Here's a few systems I've experienced:
I currently volunteer at a county museum where we need keys to access the gallery talk materials. Most of these materials are stored in large upright locked cabinets on wheels and kept in the galleries. The keys are tied onto wooden blocks the size of a deck of cards and kept in a drawer at the front desk. There is one closet which keeps some of the larger taxidermy examples used in gallery talks, and since this closet contains building system elements, we have to sign out the closet key from the security staff. This system works especially if museum staff is not available to open the education department which supervises the volunteer force.
I also interned at a city art museum which had electronic key cards. I usually entered through the "back door" and while most employees swiped their key card, I would check out an 'intern' card from the security desk at that entrance. The various key cards were programmed to allow different levels of access; for example, the preparator needed the registrar or a curator to let him into the collections storage, or he could request access be added for a short period of time.

Hope this feedback is helpful!

Danielle Trynoski

Seeking opportunities in the museum and heritage management industry in the Inland Empire