Sorry, long e-mail ahead:
I have type 1 diabetes, and have had a pretty bad hypoglycemic incident in
a museum (sorry, Smithsonian American History!). I found myself without
emergency supplies and ended up with a (very helpful) guard getting me a
coke from...somewhere... as I sat having an epic meltdown on the bench.

The dangers of hypoglycemia are very real. Symptoms of hypoglycemia (low
blood sugar) include intense confusion, sometimes paranoia, slurred speech,
shaking, spasms, sweating, combativeness, etc, and can end in seizures,
loss of consciousness, and potentially coma and death.

 Often, people who are hypoglycemic are not physically capable of thinking
through the steps of "OK, I'm severely low, I need sugar NOW, where is the
cafe? Can I make it to the cafe? Where is my money? Do I have enough money?
Wait, where am I again?" And often times you cannot express what is going
on to someone trying help you...and then trouble shooting their questions
while still being very low.

Further, small children with diabetes often cannot express the warning
signs of an impending hypo, and those who have a long diagnosis may have
developed hypoglycemic insensitivity, and may not know that they are going
low until it is very, very low (for example: Normal blood sugar for a
non-diabetic is 80-120 mg/dl. I have a friend who is 25 years post Dx, and
cannot tell until she is in the 30 mg/dl range...at which point you are
probably having trouble walking and talking).

Even your best controlled diabetic has a hypo sneak up on them once in a
while. It is the reality of the disease. Continuous glucose monitors have
an annoying 40 minute lag, and carb counting on the go can be an exercise
in theoretical mathematics, and particularly in a museum, you can end up
getting more activity than you bargained (and ate) for. The need aspect of
carrying juice or Coke or cake frosting or candies or whatever else is very
real, and the need to eat it is immediate. It's just as vital as having a
bottle of water for a pulmonary issue.

My advice as both a diabetic and a registrar is thus: most people with the
need for medical liquids are hyper aware and ready to defend their need to
have them. They're also highly unlikely to abuse the privilege. If you see
someone whip out a juice box in a gallery and go to town, have the gallery
attendants gently ask if everything is ok. If they respond with "I'm having
a low blood sugar"/"I'm diabetic"/"HELP", then have an attendant stay with
them while they eat or drink, and just wait for the person to affirm that
they're better, or summon additional help if needed. Having an attendant
try to guide or keep the person in one space (a bench, a chair, the floor
if needed) will help contain any accidental spills and keep them away from
objects, and if there is a spill or mess, the attendant can call for
housekeeping immediately.

If the attendant approaches and says "is everything ok?" and the person
says "Yeah I'm just hungry", then just have them go about the normal, "I'm
sorry, we don't permit liquids in the gallery, could you please either go
to the cafe or cap your bottle and put it in your purse", drill.

As to the uptick: in general, diabetics are living much longer, and more
actively, than they ever have before. Thanks, technology! Diabetics are
also being more accurately diagnosed, so the number of people diagnosed
with diabetes has increased. Further, I think that the increase in the
number of diabetics, coupled with a strong online presence (called the DOC-
diabetes online community) is helping to make diabetics more visible and
vocal about their disease, and combat some of the misinformation and
outdated ideas about the disease. That might explain some of the increase
you see, but for every Me in a smiling pancreas t-shirt and wearing an
insulin pump covered in a Saltire, there's probably three diabetics you
don't see.

Pancreatically yours,
Tracey Berg-Fulton, M.Litt.
Type 1 Diabetic, 19 years