Hi, Sarah, from another South Texan,

That sounds so neat!   We don’t have a wiki-up, but we have a jacal that has a palm-thatched roof.   One of our local ranchers had workers who were able to make the surprisingly-intricate roof for us, as well as a leña (stacked log) fence, and an orno (beehive oven). I’ve also seen ramadas, brush arbors, made at local ranches by workers.  Many of these workers are from Mexico and/or have indigenous roots.

I know none of the structures I mentioned are what you are looking for, but there may be some workers in your area with some traditional building skills who could craft something to your design.  If you have any ranchers among your museum’s supporters, they might be a first start.  Also, as another poster suggested, you might contact other indigenous groups.  I know the Lipan Apache Band is headquartered in Corpus.  They may not have the exact same structure in their cultural repertoire, but may be able to craft something for you or have a contact who could.

Should all of those fail, you might look for someone in the groups who do primitive crafts in your area:  projectile points, atl-atls, etc.

Lisa

Lisa Kay Adam

Curator of Collections & Registrar

Museum of South Texas History (MOSTHistory)

200 N Closner Blvd  |  Edinburg, TX 78541 USA

P: +1-956-383-6911  |  F: +1-956-381-8518

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]  |   <http://www.mosthistory.org/> MOSTHistory.org

American Alliance of Museums Accredited Museum