Stan Hywet is in the process of a capital campaign.  A portion of the funds raised will benefit some needed restoration work within our 65 room Manor House.   The administration understands that we cannot name or plaque individual rooms but they have started to approach me with the idea of installing a plaque in the entrance hall to the house that would be somewhat permanent in its presence and list all of the donors who gave funds towards the restoration efforts.

I would prefer the plaque to be something that can be removed if needed (so not a heavy brass piece that needs to be bolted into the wall)  I am interested in seeing  examples other historic houses have used.  A vinyl banner or something printed on a light weight plastic or glass possibly?

We are in the early phases of this discussion and my first priority is going to be to try to keep any signage out of the Manor House entirely.  I would just like to be able to offer some ideas to them in case I am resoundingly overruled so that they do not immediately run out and order something that then is permanently affixed to the wall.

Thanks!

Julie Leone

Director of Museum Services/Curator

Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens

714 North Portage Path

Akron, OH  44303-1399

Main: 330-836-5533

Direct: 330-315-3226

Open April through December, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is one of the most important remaining examples of an American Country Estate built during the Industrial Age at the turn of the twentieth century.  Stan Hywet was home to F.A. Seiberling, co-founder of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, and his family.  www.stanhywet.org