On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Mike Reuter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
My experience was as a curator and I absolutely agree that they don't care about the artifacts, the site, etc., they just want to get the movie shot.  Set builders were on site in the wee hours of the morning and late into the night. The schedule and contract was changed almost on a daily basis.

I think it is unfair to say that movie people don't care. They just have different priorities. Their people are hourly and are most likely on strict union schedules and regulations. Going overtime means a lot more money. Plus you don't know how the shoot has been affected before that and it could already be behind schedule and over-budget. Nothing ever runs on schedule. Anyone who has run anything should know this.

The top priority of movie production people is to get their shoot. The tech guys are there to make sure the shoot happens. They aren't museum people or conservators. To them, a historic house is just another set. It's unfair to expect them to have the same knowledge of conservation that we have. And when schedules are really tight and budgets are tight and people are tired, people forget things and tempers flare and people can forget that one simply cannot go down to Home Depo and purchase another 200 year-old historic door or trim or crown molding for the house like you can with a set.

That is why museum people should always be on set and make it their top priority to protect their site. They should have the absolute authority to stop a shot, no matter how behind schedule or how they're about to lose the light or go into overtime at that moment if the site is in any in danger. Sites should always get paid not just their regular rental fees, but additional fees to cover insurance and the LOADED rates of all staff working the shoot. The site should be left in as good condition or better condition as when the crew got there.

Deb Fuller